Information on Self-Isolation: Updated
Further to the Ministry of Health information below, we have given this additional consideration and developed our own policy for Affordable Motorhomes customers, which is as follows:
1) We reserve the right to hire vehicles for self-isolation purposes to NZ residents returning home who need to self-isolate and would like to stay close to family, or frontline workers who wish to keep their families safe during lockdown.
You are able to hire one of our vehicles with the intention of parking onsite at your family home or normal residence.
If you would like to rent a vehicle for this purpose, please get in touch with us by phone 0800 22 33 04 to discuss the options and pricing for a two week hire.
2) The only vehicles in our fleet suitable for self isolation are those that have showers onboard, which means we will only be hiring our 4 berth motorhomes, 2+1 berth campervans, and 2 berth compact campervans for self-isolation purposes.
3) In terms of stocking up with groceries and supplies, we don't recommend that you go into supermarkets to purchase groceries while you are in the self-isolation period.
If you are staying near your family home, we recommend you have groceries delivered or have family members shop on your behalf. You can also have groceries delivered to our depot address by ordering in advance of your arrival in New Zealand.
Please contact us in advance if you wish to do this. There is also a Click and Collect option for supermarket shopping, which minimises any contact/time required to get your groceries.
4) We are of course also happy to continue renting vehicles as normal to travellers from overseas who have been in New Zealand for more than the 14 day self isolation period. Please enquire through the website or by phone as normal.
5) In terms of hygiene in our vehicles, all vans are left for 24 hours after dropoff and then thoroughly cleaned before any new hires. We will also be using the Zoono products for sanitising vehicles and providing sanitiser in each vehicle when it is collected for a hire. We will update on this page and on our Facebook when this is available.
6) If you are hiring a vehicle for self-isolation purposes and need to empty your toilet, please follow the 3-5 metre distancing rule if you don't have anyone to assist you with emptying and returning the unit.
We highly recommend you follow the protocols and advice for travellers included here from the Ministry of Health on how to follow self-isolation appropriately:
If you have any questions or concerns at all about your health while you are in New Zealand, you can call the free Healthline number 0800 358 5453
The exact words from the Ministry of Health are below:
People may self-isolate in a fully self-contained camper van but they cannot interact with other campers, for example using shared kitchens or ablution facilities.
You can get petrol from the service station and food from the supermarket.
You can put Campervan rental address with your contact numbers on the arrival card.
We have set in place procedures on hiring to minimise risk for all, so feel free to give us a call to find out more about the process for pickup and dropoff etc.
You can use our address details on the card you will receive when you arrive in Auckland or Christchurch airports. Check our locations page for address details.